A large number of adults as well as children massed on the banks of the Dee at the Groves in Chester to see a flotilla of small rubber ducks make their way in a sedate race along the river. Released by the Lord Mayor of Chester from the suspension bridge they drifted down river to the finish line, a boom stretched across the Dee from the Groves, half way between the bridge and the weir.
With the removal of the dense tree and shrub growth along the river and around St John's church. Views that have become hidden are now opened up. One such site, hidden for the past few years from passers by along the Groves has been what is probably one of the most curious buildings in Chester.
Saturday 20th of March saw the running of the 75th North of England Head of the River Race along the Dee. Organised by the Royal Chester Rowing Club. A major event in the British rowing calendar over 124 crews took part in the morning and afternoon events.
First run in 1935 the annual event has only been cancelled because of war and in 2001 because of Foot and Mouth. The race takes place over a 5000metre course along the Dee with the Finish post at the edge of the Earl's Eye Meadow in Chester, just before the Royal Chester Rowing Club's boat house.
After much of the east coast of Britain, the penines and Scotland had suffered snow before and during Christmas. Chester, apart from a brief dusting just before Christmas appeared to avoid the great down pourings. Until Tuesday the 5th of January when a steady downfall ciovered most of the city with about 4-5 inches. Still not as significant as the rest of the country but pretty non the less. Here are few pictures of a snowy Chester.